Safe Motorcycle Travel
Safe motorcycle travel is always on the mind or at least it should be. Where do we start? With a list.
- Always wear protect clothing! Now days the choices are numerous:
- Gore-Tex Weatherproof
- English Waxed Cotton – Made in USA (Aerostitch) Aerostich Motorcycle Outer Wear
- Nuff said
- You have to protect your feet. Having a crushed foot I can personally say, you can’t put a price on a good pair of boots.
- Must be DOT approved, ECE 2208 and Snell
- Check expiration date, may need to replace after 7 years, check with manufacturer.
- Tires, depending on the brand a good tire can go for 5,000 to 15,000 miles. Factors to consider are the road conditions, weight on the tires and weather.
- Brakes, always check your brake pads. City riding will put more wear on them. Some pads have wear indicators.
- Chains, should be lubricated every 300 to 600 miles. There are automatic oilers available, but nothing beats good manual oiling.
- Oil Change, 1 year or 6000 miles or as recommended by the manufacturer’s manual.
Add to the list:
- Download to your phone an app, so that if you don’t have cell service you can still use it off line.
- Paper maps can still be used.
Important: Tell someone where you are going and when you should be back. Years ago we started this habit. This day and age you never know when you may need to depend on someone else having your back!
Most of all, have a fun safe journey!
The Throttle Rocker Team