There is something magical and enticing about driving on an open road with nothing but your motorcycle. The sense of freedom and just cruising through locations is liberating. If you are thinking of going on a motorcycle tour, then one of the best places to do that is Australia.
- Why is Australia one of the best places to have a motorcycle tour?
- Is there anything that I should know?
- Any good routes I should take?
- What about motorcycle touring equipment?
These questions will be answered in this post — so read on.
There are plenty of locations to do a motorcycle tour. However, a lot of motorcycle touring enthusiasts would claim that Australia is a must. There are plenty of reasons, but here are a few of the big ones.
- Scenery – Australia offers plenty of breathtaking sceneries. Not just any scenery, but the kind that is almost picture-perfect and belongs to a postcard. On top of that, you will have plenty of variety in the landscape. Australia is so diverse that you could be driving through the snow-covered mountains in the morning, and by afternoon you find yourself in a gentle woodland. Almost all of the best nature scenery you can imagine, you’ll find in Australia.
- The People – Australians are some of the friendliest people on the planet. This means that you will always be in a relatively safe environment. You won’t have to be worried that you might get mugged or harassed in a small town in a middle of nowhere. Friendly locals is a big plus, especially if you are traveling or just passing through.
- Vast Open Roads – Australia has a vast network of open roads. On top of that, the roads are well-taken care of. You can relax, sit back and enjoy the view without having to slow down because of long stretches of bad roads.
Any good routes I should take?
Try Putty Road, it meanders across an exquisite range of hills on the Eastern Coast of this country, and passes through the Yengo National Park. You can start your ride at Singleton, and head out West on Putty Road until you gradually descend onto Windsor.
You may also want to try out the famous Great Ocean Road, which is regarded as a top tourist attraction in this part of Australia. It starts at Torquay and heads West, ending at Allansford, in the vicinity of Warrnambooli. This road snugly hugs the coastline, and you’ll enjoy panoramic views throughout your long ride.
What should I know before I go?
Always remember that motorcycle touring may take several days, and you will on the road for most of the time. Therefore, planning is critical not only for your safety but to make sure that the experience fun and relaxing.
There are two major things that you need to take into consideration – you bike and equipment and personal safety. Make sure that everything is in order before you go.
Watch out for fatigue
Most people overlook the toll that fatigue will take when going on a motorcycle tour. Keep in mind that you will be on the road for long periods of time. Even for the smallest tasks, prolonged hours will soon take its toll, and this will significantly affect the joys of a motorcycle tour.
Case in point, the act of gripping the throttle and turning it. When you are driving over short distances, this isn’t a big deal. However, squeezing the throttle for hours, it’s just a matter of time that your grip loosens due to fatigue, your hands may cramp, and the ride won’t be as fun.
Is there a solution?
When it comes to avoiding hand fatigue due to prolonged gripping, a Throttle Rocker is a simple solution. It’s a small device you add to your bike grip, which solves the problem.
Throttle Rocker attaches to the throttle of your bike, no tools required, and then instead of squeezing, you just relax your hand and the weight of your hand pulls the throttle open. You don’t need to grip anymore.
The Throttle Rocker is different than cruise control. Cruise control is designed to be used on open roads. When it comes to winding roads, it’s not a viable option. However, you can have a Throttle Rocker and still use the cruise control. You get the best of both worlds.
Australia is one of the best places to do motorcycle tours. It offers the best sceneries with lots of variety. Just be sure that you get your equipment and personal safety plan set before you go. Also, to avoid fatigue due to prolonged gripping, don’t forget to get Throttle Rocker to take on your cruise!